Friday, August 1, 2014

Mrs. Perrycratchet  ...the conclusion

“Prince Edward Island,” I started – gotta start somewhere. I was felling loads of sympathy for all those kids who lived in the United States. Twelve places were bad enough.
“New Brunswick,” that’s the first place off the ferry – The Mainland. First stop on our way to Ontario.
“Ontario!” .. now what’s in between? Montreal, no that’s not the province, Quebec City, Oh Ya!
“Quebec,” Now, I missed some of the maritime provinces – cape Breton.. um.. um
“Nova Scotia,” and who can forget our Island neighbours.
“Newfoundland,” Now the hard part – West. Start at the coast. Vancouver Island, No that’s not the Province – Oh no, maybe a Prairie Province. Wait, don’t panic. How many more?
“How many more please?” I inquired.
“Four more provinces and two territories,” Mrs. Perrycratchet informed me.
Go to the territories, I tell myself – Yukon Korneilous!
“Yukon Territory,” and North something – closer to BC, Aha!
“British Columbia” That’s west – so it’s got to be…
“North West Territory,” just the prairies left. They’re the worst. Ok, I can do it – remember the code. Uncle SAM. S.A.M. S first, easy.
“Saskachewan,” I was getting dizzy. I wondered if I was remembering to breathe. Two more to go. A – got this one.
“Alberta,” One more to go – I could see it there in my mind – smack in the middle, M, M, the man in the middle! Ya!
“Manitoba,” I exhaled and smiled – wiped my hands on the sides of my dress.
“Well done Wanda,” Mrs. Perrycratchet beamed.

I couldn’t believe it. I passed the test – I did it. I could proudly finish my grade three year with the knowledge that I would pass into grade four knowing all the provinces and both territories. I tried not to think of my sister practicing all the capitals and how I would have to do it next year.


As I sat down, Betty stood up and prepared to recite her ticket into the forth grade, or so it seemed to us. I felt how unfair it was that I had to go first. Then as I heard her voice quiver – I felt renewed sympathy for her and crossed my fingers, silently rooting her on.

... stay tuned for more random readings...

No comments:

Post a Comment