Sunday, July 27, 2014

"Mrs Perrycratchit" continued...

One really hot afternoon, it must have been late June. There was lots of chatter about only days left until summer vacation. Missy bragged about going to camp. Fran and I, that's my sister - she's was in grade four and already knew her provinces - would be making the drive with our parents to the other end of the Island to spend a month with our Gram Jackson. I always looked forward to our summer vacation there. Especially the fried bologna and bannock breakfast cooked on the wood cook-stove. Yum Yum.

My longings were cut short by the voice of Mary Perrycratchit "Wanda! Stand Please."
My heart was in my throat, my palms dripped with sweat. I started rehearsing to myself, P.E.I., New Brunswick...oh god, I knew she was going to ask me.
"Ok Wanda, Please recite the names of Canada's 2 territories and 10 provinces."


I could feel my knees weaken and I almost asked if I could sit down to recite. The pressure was so great it was almost unbearable. I remember thinking ‘I know this - I can do it.’


...  stay tuned to see if Wanda can come through!!

No comments:

Post a Comment